Hands up those who love to enjoy their coffee in the biggest bowl they have?
Well turns out I’m not the only one (surprise surprise). It’s said that 47% of Australians prefer to drink their coffee in mugs as big as their head, I mean 230ml or larger, and luckily some smart people out there were listening.
As someone who works from home, across 2 businesses, while also entertaining and keeping 2 small kiddies alive (nailing it FYI), the luxury of getting out the door daily for my dose of goodness (here’s looking at you bulletproof coffee) is at an all-time low.
Enter my saviour: Nespresso’s brand new machine system and coffee range, Vertuo (check it in all its glory here), that delivers everything we’ve been wanting.
More quality, more volume, more options.
The Nespresso Vertuo system allows you to choose from 4 sizes; from a 40ml espresso/macchiato (for Shaun), a 150ml gran lungo, 230ml mug (for Mum when she’s visiting) and a 414ml Alto – yep that’s me, for my extra, extra-long black to make my bulletproof coffee base.
And my bulletproof coffee may look a little different than yours, for one it’s a whole lot easier!! Before I share my recipe, you may be wondering what the hell is a bulletproof coffee? So here it is in a nut shell:
Bulletproof Coffee, which is basically just a cup of black coffee with grass-fed butter or ghee and medium-chain triglycerides (MCT) oil mixed in, was designed by Dave Asprey, to “supercharge your brain function and create effortless fat loss with no cravings’.
Now before you put this in the hipster trend box, which it sort of is, it does have many benefits outside of being plain delicious (it is I promise!).
- It’s a great way to get healthy fats in first thing in morning. This provides energy, is good for cognitive function and supports your hormonal system.
- Butter from grass-fed cows supplies a ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids that’s far healthier than what comes from conventionally raised livestock (it’s actually similar to the healthy-fat breakdown of fatty fish). Meanwhile, MCTs are a unique form of fat that require less energy and enzymes to be digested when compared to another type of fat known as long-chain triglycerides.
- “There is some evidence that regular consumption of MCTs can induce very mild fat loss over time,” says Christopher Ochner, Ph.D., research associate at The New York Obesity Nutrition Research Center at St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospitals.
- Pop your choice of Nespresso pod into the Vertuo machine (I go with ALTO DOLCE SMOOTH AND ROUND – INTENSITY 7, which gives me 414mls here)
- Have your blender cup under the pourer – this is another cool feature of the new Vertuo machine – you have an adjustable pour height so it fits both large cups or small espresso cups.
- Hit go! Now, while the smooth, silky, liquid gold is pouring, add in your 1 tsp of MCT oil (you can work up to 1 to 2 Tbsp over several days) we love Melrose MCT oils (check them out here http://melrosemct.com.au/)
- Add 1 Tbsp grass-fed unsalted butter or ghee (you can work up to 2 or more Tbsp over several days).
- Add in sweetener if desired (I always add a good spoonful of raw honey, because YUM)
- Add in extras for a superfood boost: I add in a powdered combo of Ashwagandha (withania somnifera) for adaptogen properties, Mesquite powder – not only does it have a sweet flavour with hints of caramel it’s also rich in a number of vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. It is also a fantastic source of lysine, magnesium, iron, and dietary fibre. It has high levels of calcium, which is important for maintaining healthy hair, skin, and bone strength. It also is a rich source of dietary potassium, which is essential for proper water balance and healthy heart functioning. Reishi Mushrooms for immune functions. You could also add things like Bee pollen, Maca – the list goes on!
- Blend and enjoy!
For those who loves the nitty gritty technical details when researching the best on the market (or is that just my hubby?) here’s the need to know of my new Vertuo machine:
The Vertuo system is highly versatile, containing unique Centrifusion™ technology that rotates the capsule up to 7000 RPM to enable extraction lengths from an espresso to a large mug. This technology, combined with the new range of 20 Nespresso coffees and own range of accessories, means that any coffee lover is now able to brew their ideal coffee to perfection, at the touch of a button.
This means extra large vertuo coffee capsules
The machine is also sleek and doesn’t take up too much bench space – which I love. As nearly 90% of Australians consume coffee with some form of milk, the Vertuo system has also developed the perfect long-cup coffee with milk: the Reverso™. Created by adding a dash of milk to the mug before extracting coffee over the top, and while you may think nothing of this, it 100% delivers a smooth, indulgent and creamy texture without the need for an additional milk frothing device.
So, if you’re anything like me, time poor but an absolute coffee snob, Nespresso’s latest innovation gets the big tick of approval from me. Also, a little extra detail, as I’m HUGE on recycling now since moving into our new eco friendly house, the fact that Nespresso are committed to ensuring sustainability throughout its operations is a biggie. Nespresso’s recycling program provides almost 20,000 collection points – including Nespresso Boutiques and over 300 florists – where they ensure your used Nespresso capsules are recycled. Nespresso has also partnered with Australia Post to provide co-branded satchels to ensure even the most remote of you can recycle your capsules.
Make life easier in every way you can, for me, that’s starting the day with a large coffee that can be made like a pro in the comfort of my own home in the early hours of the morning before training or in my office.
Sometimes it’s the small things that really count!
What is your favourite way to have coffee? Let me know if you’re a fan of the bullet or if you prefer to keep it simple!!
Editors note: This post and my coffee addiction is sponsored by Nespresso. We only ever recommend products and services that we have tried or already use and genuinely love. All opinions are ours (obviously!). Thank you for supporting the businesses that make Fitness In The City Blog possible.