There is nothing sweeter or more rewarding than having a positive impact on someone’s life – regardless of how big or small. In this case, it was introducing my soon to be sisters to raw desserts. That’s right, they have swapped empty calories, white, processed crack, (aka sugar) for more natural, nutrient dense substituents. And whola, the result was a gorgeous (paleo friendly) Raw Chocolate Shortbread bar.
And here is how you too can make it.
1 cup cashews
1 cup dried, unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup dates
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup cashews
1/3 cup coconut oil (you must use coconut – no substitutes!)
1/3 cup maple syrup, honey or agave nectar
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 tablespoons raw cacao powder
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon water
1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Process: Place all shortbread ingredients in the food processor. Process until the mixture sticks together and the dates are well processed.
2. Place: shortbread mixture into your dish, making sure you press the crust down firmly with your hands. The Shortbread base is now done.
3. Blend: Place all chocolate mixture ingredients into a high-speed blender. Blend until very smooth.
4. Pour/deposit chocolate mixture on top of shortbread, similar to pouring icing on brownies. Smooth with the back of a spoon.
5. Freeze: Cover and freeze for at least 1 hour. Always store these in the freezer.
6. Enyoy! Slice a frozen piece, and let it thaw out on the bench for 15 minutes or so, top with some berries if you wish.
I would love to see your creations too so please tag your healthy pics with #FitnessInTheCity, then follow me via
Big thanks to The Rawtarian for this amazing recipe! Check out her site for more delish recipes and tips http://www.therawtarian.com/