Jessica Rutledge – Resident Nutritionist at Mr Perkins gives us 5 reasons we should replace our morning coffee with a cup of bone broth.
Not sold? Read on!
- Soul warming and a steady energy boost – unlike coffee, which gives you a buzz by spiking your nervous system and then lets you crash, a warm cup of bone broth will give you a stable energy increase without the crash, giving you enough energy to get through the whole day.
- Glow – bone broth is packed full of collagen, gelatine and hyaluronic acid, all of which contribute to increased skin elasticity (note: the bodies collagen production decreases with age, hence the onset of wrinkles). A cup of bone broth a day helps to plump out skin creases and promotes cellular strength leading to firm, glowing skin.
- Youthful Joints – bone broth contains glucosamine and chondroitin, both of which are well known for their ability to promote healthy joints. After years of high impact sports (particularly running) and general ageing, the supportive cartilage in between our joints wears down. The collagen found in bone broth helps to strengthen this cartilage, leading to healthier and more youthful joints.
- Immune Boost – rich in vitamins and minerals, bone broth is superb for boosting the immune system, especially when flavoured with super foods such as turmeric, ginger, Manuka honey or parsley that add even more healing nutrients (Mr Perkins broths are flavoured with all the above super foods). A warm cup of bone broth is also soothing on the soul for when you are feeling under the weather.
- Gut Health – bone broth (a collagen and gelatine rich liquid) is like gold for the compromised digestive system. A cup of bone broth a day replenishes the lining of the digestive system, particularly the intestines; when our intestines are healthy, the body can properly absorb the goodness (nutrients and minerals) that food has to offer.
Mr Perkins is renowned for their signature slow-cooked bone broths in chicken or spicy veal. Mr Perkins is located in the Pacific Building at 192 Campbell parade in Bondi beach and is open for lunch and dinner between 11am and 9pm seven days a week. www.mrperkins.com.au