Believe me when I say these cookies are good. I mean next level, I’m licking the bowl and eating the whole plate in under 5 minutes kinda good.
The best bit? They’ve had an Ann Hathaway Princess Diary style makeover making them guilt free – so even your healthiest, clean eatin’ vegan loving friend won’t be able to resist. And then you’ll be asked for the recipe.
First of all, I have to confess I didn’t even know what an Afghan cookie was until 3 months ago, but, it was love at first sight.
After a chance meeting in a cafe – you know the scene, I was having a bad day, it was raining, I was windswept and a feeling a little worse for wear… so ordered an extra strong coffee, and that’s when I saw them. Sitting, beckoning me to order it. A real life sugar filled cookie. And it was amazing.
We bumped into each other a few more times (ok 20) after that but had to say enough was enough when I found myself driving there just for my cookie hit, minus the coffee.
So, I got a grip and did what any well respected healthy gal did. I googled them (ah cornflakes was the crunch!) and worked out a few easy swaps for the white sugar and well here we are.
Have with or without melted chocolate on top. I am a mum of 2 under 2.5 years so Ill be taking the chocolate thanks…
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoon raw honey or rice malt syrup or maple syrup
- 1 cup of coconut flour or almond meal
- 2 tablespoon cacao powder (I have also used healthy drinking chocolate powder here when I ran out of cacao)
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 cup gluten free cornflakes (no added sugar) – you can get in health food shops or supermarkts
- ½ cup dairy free vegan chocolate for melting on top (Loving Earth or Conscious chocolate are my favourites)
- 6 walnuts to garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celsius and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Add all ingredients except cornflakes and melting chocolate into a bowl or blender and mix.
- Add the cornflakes and gently combined.
- Take spoonfuls of mixture and roll into balls, pressing them down onto tray to flatten them to cookie shape and height (not too much though!)
- Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and play on a tray to cool.
- You can either eat now (yum) or for the full effect, melt the chocolate and drizzle a little on top. You can make your own chocolate via this recipe or melt chocolate via stove method.
- Place walnut on top of melted chocolate to set.
Serve with coffee for a real 3pm treat.
Want more? Sign up to our newsletter so they come straight to your inbox once in a blue moon! http://eepurl.com/EW8mb